1. Eat slowly and chew as much as you can
As slower as you eat and as more you chew the more enzymes can be set free and are able to predigesting your food before it goes down to your stomach. As most of us eat way too fast we almost don’t give our stomach a break! The food also stays in the stomach way longer than it is supposed to be. Roughly digested food now arrives at the small intestine where bacterias decompose the undigested food pieces. This then leads to bloating and toxic gases which not only harms your digestive system but also your entire body. So remind yourself to eat slowly and to chew a loooooot.
2. The right combination of food
Our stomach likes it easy. For example veggies+protein , veggies + fat, veggies + carbs. This could look like this:
- (veggies + protein) Steamed broccoli and cauliflower with scrambled tofu and spicy tomato salsa
- (veggies + fat) carrot & cucumber sticks with coconut-yogurt chives dip sauce and guacamole and celeriac Schnitzel
- (veggies + carbs:) big salad (kale, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, mango) with quinoa and hummus. This way your digestion will work much faster.
Drink 1 glass of water right after you wake up and wait 1 hour before you eat. This will boost your metabolism and you will also feel much more satisfied. Try to drink at least 2 liters of water per day: this will help your body to get rid of toxins, it will keep you hydrated and it supports and relieves your organs.
4. Don’t drink and eat
While it is very important to drink a lot of water it is not recommending to drink while eating as liquid dilutes the gastric juices and therefore makes it more difficult for your digestive system to do it’s job. The best thing to do: drink 1 hour before you eat and 1 hour after you have eaten.
5. Move yourself!
Sometimes you might feel full and bloated and especially in those times light exercises can bring big relief! Try it out – you won’t be disappointed. A small yoga session, a walk around the block, a few sit ups – quite everything does it – and gets your digestive system going!