We are always on the search of what we could possibly eat to become healthy, slim and good looking. I tell you something: the solution sits right in your mouth. It’s the process of your teeth grinding the incoming food: chewing. It gets way too much underestimated, but it might actually be the solution. I tell you why:
The following two enzymes are released in the mouth because of the saliva:
- Enzyme alpha-amylase: for the cleavage of carbohydrates
- Enzyme lipase: for the cleavage of fat molecules
The first step of carbohydrate digestion already takes place in the mouth. While the chemical cleavage of fat and protein only begins in the stomach, the enzymes get released in the mouth, which shows the importance of saliva.
- The better you chew, the higher the salivary flow.
- The better you chew, the larger the surface area for the digestive enzymes to attack.
- The better you chew, the better the carbohydrates in the mouth can be predigested.
- The better you chew, the more thoroughly the food can be digested in the small intestine.
- The better you chew, the fewer digestive problems such as flatulence, abdominal pain and cramps occur.
- The better you chew, the healthier the intestinal environment is and the better nutrients and vital substances can be utilized.
- The better you chew, the faster the feeling of satiety appears.
- The better you chew, the less you eat and the more you lose weight.
For every German speaking person out there, the following website is highly recommended by me: https://www.schmauen.com
In general, the aim is to make the process of chewing enjoyable. Maybe at some point I’ll write about it in English. Jürgen Schilling also writes about all the health benefits and how he lost a lot of weight with “schmauen” – the technique he invented. I loved his book and all his tips.
Nevertheless also without “schmauen” you can have success just by chewing better! Try it out – you won’t be disappointed.