My newest addiction: sweet salty popcorn! Way back then people looked at me weird when I ordered half sweet, half salty popcorn in the cinema. But now, it’s all legitimate and the best thing is that I knew it all the time. – Sweet and salty popcorn is a delicacy.
In Switzerland the very best sweet salty popcorn is the “Zweifel popcorn sweet and salty”!! But some sneaky people go to the stores and buy it all leaving me with nothing! The only way to survive this is to make my very own sweet and salty popcorn.
- Add the popcorn and the oil into a large pan with a lid.
- Heat the pan to a high temperature.
- Before it pops, add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar and stir it.
- Reduce the heat, wait until most of the corn has popped and shake the pan from time to time to prevent burning.
- Remove the pan from the stove, put all the popcorn into a large bowl and sprinkle salt over it.
I once also tried to make a caramel “syrup” and pour it over the popcorn but it turned out way too sticky. Also this way of making the popcorn is really fast. You just have to be careful that you don’t put the sugar in the pan to early, because otherwise it burns.
This popcorn is yum, but unfortunately it’s not as good as the bought Zweifel Popcorn. Their popcorn is crisp, deliciously sweet with a cheeky bit of salt, not too much, just the right amount. Also it’s not as unhealthy as it could be – it only has 4 ingredients (corn, sugar, oil, salt) so the secret must be in the preparation. Long story short: I want to eat all of it. I want to find a store and buy and eat it all. Bless you you beautiful popcorn.
PS: Isn’t it funny that there’s a corn.. it pops… it becomes a popcorn. #deep